Security handling with touchID

Problems with KyPass on iPhone should be reported in here
Elves

Security handling with touchID

Post by Elves »

Hi, I recommended my sister to use KyPass. On iPhone with file saved in iCoud. She set up two data files, one for company and one for personal. How she can separate out the two aspects of her life, I don’t know.

Anyway she uses TouchID and it stopped working. When that happens to me I just close Kypass and then reopen it select this years copy of my file and it asks for TouchID.

Hers doesn’t, it wants the password for her database. Now, normally I would expect to find the password for an app in the iPhone settings app under Passwords & Accounts. But it isn’t.

Please confirm that KyPass must cache the database password internally so TouchID confirms it can open the selected password.

Assume there is no way to reinstate TouchID sending the database password this sounds like my sister has lost her database. She thought her iPhone would keep her password safe but it’s not being kept by the keychain on the phone, is it?

RedBug (Author)
Site Admin

Re: Security handling with touchID

Post by RedBug (Author) »

I'm afraid that I couldn't help you.

Once the TouchID stop working (due to many tries), KyPass remove the database password from its own vault (not the password under Passwords & Accounts) for security reasons.

If your sister doesn't remember the main password anymore, it's over :(

The TouchID is not a password replacement, it's just a help to open the database quickly.
Artisan developer iPhone/Mac, old demoscener & Kyuran owner.
RedBug / Kyuran

Elves

Re: Security handling with touchID

Post by Elves »

That is unfortunate.

I think my sister will insist on using a password manager that allows the phone to manage the secrets.