Stop the app from connecting to the Internet

Do not dump your problems/suggestions here, but try to find the forum where it belongs!
RobWie

Stop the app from connecting to the Internet

Post by RobWie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi,

Is there a way of stopping the app from ever connecting to the Internet?
Otherwise, if this is allowed, how do I know that my passwords are not sent to you (for the purpose of being stolen)?

Regards

RedBug
Site Admin

Re: Stop the app from connecting to the Internet

Post by RedBug » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:30 pm

It's used for notifications.
Just disable notifications in the iPhone settings.
If it doesn't work, reinstall KyPass and disallow notification at the first start of KyPass
Artisan developer iPhone/Mac, old demoscener & Kyuran owner.
RedBug / Image

RobWie

Post by RobWie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Ok, but even if I do this how do I know that the app is not sending my passwords to you?
Maybe I am paranoid, but it is certainly a theoretical possibility.

Mr-Fly

Post by Mr-Fly » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:38 pm

If you don’t trust, you should also not trust a switch in the app that disables network communication. What you are searching is an Apple function to disable network.
From Apple it is only possible to block an app from mobile data, not from WiFi.
So there is no way to do so today. And even if RedBug does develop this, would this give you security in this situation that he will not sideload even if the switch is on?
I believe it is a problem with all password manager. Do you trust Keepass for windows? Do you knowing that connects somewhere?

Kypass Beta Tester and Moderator

RobWie

Post by RobWie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Yes, I do trust KeePass on Windows as I can use Windows Firewall to block the KeePass exe from accessing the internet.
As you mention, I cannot do this on iPhone. I can only block the app app from using cellular data, but cannot block connections through WiFi.
And I get your point that even if KyPass offered a switch then that would not be 100% guaranteed to do what the switch advertises.
So I was not asking for a new switch in KyPass but rather any advice on how using data connections through WiFi could be blocked in iOS, but having done some research since originally posting my question here it appears that this is not possible without jailbraking the iOS, which I don’t really want to do.
As you say, my dilemma applies to all password managers, but at least KeePass is open source so there is more scrutiny there and less risk. With KyPass though, as a closed source app, there is nothing more I can do to increase my trust really is there?

Mr-Fly

Post by Mr-Fly » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 pm

You Can use a permanent proxy. Setup an proxy at Home and put your Traffic through a proxy all the time. Or establish a vpn to home permanently and secure the internet traffic.
And btw you trust the Windows Firewall? For outgoing Traffic?
I think you have to loosen up some more as you will not be able to secure all things especially on windows. Any process <> Keepass could try to send your files and keys out to the net. On iOS you have at least the sandboxing.
I think it’s a matter of doing the most you can to secure it.
Do you know the triangle of Security?
Draw a triangle and mark three things on the sides: cost, security, usability. Now choose two :-)
One example: a computer put into concrete and sink it into the Marianne depth in sea. It is cheap, very secure but not really good usuability.
:-)
Just fun. It was something the Security Officer of a big software company told me once.
So the Reality of the triangle is, to move between the edges in the middle and find a good middle value for yourself. If you go more to security you loose cheapness and usability, if you go more to cheapness you will loose security and so on.
Quite nice to think about Image

Kypass Beta Tester and Moderator

AndyK

Post by AndyK » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi,

only for my understanding...

You use Keepass for Windows® with a database and on iOS KyPass with an other database?
Do you sync the database between the both password manager?

Andy
Kypass • German translation

RobWie

Post by RobWie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:50 am

How is this relevant to my question?
For your info, I use KeePass on Windows and then periodically export the database file and import it into KyPass on my phone.

lostsense

Post by lostsense » Thu May 23, 2019 5:53 pm

I think this clearly illustrate the need for sandboxing of password managers. I really wish it would be added to ios/macos by Apple. It would make password managers more trustable. Without it they are one exploit away from disaster. It's not about trust, it's about layers on security. All developers make mistakes, security bugs do happen.

Mr-Fly

Post by Mr-Fly » Thu May 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Every app on iOS is sandboxed...
So where is your point? On PC it is even more a problem as these apps are not sandboxed.